The Morgan County Public Library is located in downtown Berkeley Springs (also called Bath). Berkeley Springs was a popular resort area during the early years of the United States. The mineral springs drew many visitors from metropolitan areas. Notable visitors to the area included George Washington and James Rumsey. The area continues to be a popular resort area with tourism the main industry in the county and four full-service spas using the mineral water.
The Morgan County Public Library, on the corner of Congress and Washington Streets, is housed in an Italianate Victorian residence built in 1870 with an addition constructed in 1920. During much of the 1930s, it was operated as a “high class boarding house,” according to the local press. In 1998, the library acquired the building and a large addition was designed to blend with the original style. The original lot owner was James Smith, a Signer of the Declaration of Independence from Pennsylvania.
Berkeley Springs is a noted arts community with working artists accounting for approximately 1% of the county population of 16,000. Since 1994, the town has been listed in all four editions of John Villani's "100 Best Art Towns in America," one of only 11 towns so rated.
For more information about the town of Berkeley Springs, click HERE.